Took me more than a year to make this compilation for the Sabbat clans (the first post was on music I relate to the specific Camarilla clans):
- Brujah antitribu — Highway to Hell by AC/DC
- Gangrel antitribu (City Gangrel) — Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
- Lasombra — Princes of the Universe by Queen (disregard the Highlander theme, listen to the music/lyrics)
- Malkavian antritribu — Firestarter by The Prodigy
- Nosferatu antitribu — Would you love a Monster Man by Lordi
- Toreador antitribu — Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson
- Tremere antitribu — Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones
- Tzimisce — Engel by Ramstein
- Ventrue antitribu — This Corrosion by Sisters of Mercy
.. when Carlak is targeted by a Banishment, he will receive blood (according to his special ability), if one or more players have cast votes against the referendum, before he is moved to the uncontrolled region? The reason is that Carlak’s special ability (that he receives the blood) is checked when votes are tallied, that is before the effects of a referendum are applied.
V:EKN Design Team has released new information on the Danse Macabre expansion (or lack therefore). Here’s the full information:
We figured we’d give you all an update and explain the lack of sneak previews and lack of release information for Danse Macabre. As you’ve probably expected, it’s related to the ongoing negotiations amongst OneBookShelf, Hasbro, and CCP. Because the respective licenses have not yet been signed, we are under advisement to not publicly post the Danse Macabre material. This means no sneak previews and no .pdf release until we’re given the green light by the parties involved.
The Red List in the World of Darkness is a group of vampires (or other supernatural creatures) that have been deemed so dangerous by the Camarilla, that it requires its members to hunt down and destroy them. The term Anathema is usually used for all vampires which are subject to a Blood Hunt, but sometimes the term is also used for the vampires on the Red List only. On the other hand, Alastors are on the other hand the vampires entrusted by the Camarilla to hunt to vampires on the Red List. An Alastor can claim a Trophy for the destruction of an Anathema, e.g. major clan boons, allowance to make progeny or being taught a specific, otherwise an obtainable discipline.
The following deck based on the Malkavian antitribu clan is the seventh deck in the Reasonably Priced Decks series, which I have outlined in a previous blog post. The deck is not a pure stealth-bleed deck (as one would expect), but a rather balanced composition of bleed and block elements.
In October last year the website Drive Thru Cards opened. They offer to their customers (game publishers, that is) the following services:
- selling current card products
- bringing back out-of-print card products
- releasing expansions for existing card and board games
- offering replacement cards to customers who lose or damage them
- publicizing or beta-testing new card games (privately)
- creating custom poker decks to promote your brands
At the moment the website is still in the testing phase, although there’s announcement that the site’s full functionality will be launched in January 2013. This week Wizards of the Coast has started to distribute Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying books (albeit only older ones). This is good news since they also hold partly the intellectual property rights for VtES.
Drive Thru Cards would a well-suited platform on which VtES card expansion and reprint could be distributed. Although there hasn’t been any official information on this distribution channel yet. Hopefully Drive Thru Cards will support other card sizes soon. Currently only poker-sized cards (2.5×3.5 inches) are supported, whereas MtG/VtES cards have a slightly different format (2 15/32 x 3 7/16 inches).
After having presented ten VtES decks of the month in the past year here’s the poll for you to pick the Deck of the Year 2012 (see sidebar on the right). There is no actual prize support for this “award” other than your five minutes of fame.
- December 2012: Extremely Silent and Incredibly Far Away by Dennis Lien (USA) — a “Tariq eats the World” variation.
- November 2012: The Complex Machinations of the Mind of Fred Scott by Brian Moritz — a wallish superstar deck based on Shalmath.
- October 2012: Chorripan Festival by Javier Rodríguez Fernández (ESP) — Nergal wall deck defending Shatter the Gates.
- September 2012: Undeles Bag of Dicks by Aleksi Nuora (FIN) — is a tutoring/recursion 60 card vote deck mainly based on Undele’s special ability.
- August 2012: “James “The Knife” Angry Dragon by Brad Cashdollar (USA) — a Baali Obf/Pre vote deck.
- July 2012: Bankia by Txus Alutiz (ESP) — a Spirit Marionette/Temptation deck using Eurayle and some Followers of Set.
- June 2012: El traumatologo del dolor by Luis Fonseca (ESP) — a rush combat deck using the synergy from Talbot’s Chainsaw and Mictlantecuhtli special ability.
- May 2012: African Library by James Messer (USA) — an Osebo Toolbox/Wallish deck.
- April 2012: no deck
- March 2012: no deck
- February 2012: Unnamed shatter by Ferenc Vasadi (HUN) — an Unnamed Bleed/Shatter the Gates deck.
- January 2012: Alamut’s Horror Museum by Genis Prats (ESP) — a Assamite/Tzimice Agent of Power Summon History deck.
The poll will be closed on February 1st, 2013 (18:00 CET).
For December 2012 the Deck of the Month is the tournament winning deck “Extremely Silent and Incredibly Far Away” played by Dennis Lien (USA). The deck is a variation of the classic “Tariq Eats the World” deck, which uses Tariq the Silent to rush, torporize and diablerize his opponents key vampires. Later in the game the deck is able to block quite well using Draught of the Soul (and other cards). Erik Torstensson (SWE) won a tournament with a similar deck in December. Although Erik’s deck is the more efficient one, but Dennis deck offers more surprises like Gear Up or Daemonic Possession.
Originally I had chosen “Alamut’s Horror Museum” played by Genís Prats (ESP), since I had been seeing a very similar deck in a tournament in the Netherlands in late December. Unfortunately immediately after posting the DotM article, I discovered that the deck already was Deck of the Month January 2012 (as chosen by Mephistopheles on HunFragment).
.. that Petra Resonance is a directed action, even though it lacks the (D) symbol, and therefore the other players can attempt to block the action? The reason for this is, that the card targets the other players (or more specifically something (in this case, the crypt) controlled by another player). And this makes the action directed according to rules section 126.96.36.199.
6.2.2. Resolve Any Block Attempts
1. Who May Attempt to Block: If the action targets one or more other Methuselahs (or things controlled by other Methuselahs), then the action is called directed, and only the Methuselahs who are targeted (or control the targets) may use their ready untapped minions to attempt to block the action (going clockwise from the acting Methuselah, as usual).
Historical Note: This rule changed with the Keepers of Tradition expansion. Before that any action that targeted the controller of the acting minion or targeted more than one Methuselah was considered undirected. Refer to [LSJ-20121217].
This year the German VtES European Championship Qualifier will take place on June 22nd & 23rd, 2013 in Ludwigshafen, Germany. The location is “Das Haus” (Das Haus on Facebook), which was the location for numerous national championships and qualifier tournaments in the past. This year the qualifier is a two-day-event again, with a the actual qualifier tournament on Saturday and a draft tournament on Sunday. These are the details:
- The Location:
67059 Ludwigshafen, Germany
- Entry Fee: 5 EUR (for both days) + ~20 EUR for VtES boosters
- Pre-Registration: Pre-registration in German VEKN forum is not required, but highly appreciated. Alternatively you can use the announcement thread on vekn.net.
- Prize Support: Qualifier t-shirts, booster and promos.
German ECQ 2013 (Qualifier tournament)
- Date: June 22nd, 2013
- Format: Standard Constructed; 3R+F; detailed tournament rules can be found on the VEKN tournament rules webpage;
Please note: You will not have to qualify for this event. The top 25% players (at minimum the 5 finalists) will automatically be qualified for participation in any Continental Championship in 2013.
- Time Table:
Start Round One: 12:00 to 14:00
Start Round Two: 15:00 to 17:00
Start Round Three: 17:15 to 19:15
Start Finals: 19:30 to 21:30
German ECQ 2013 (draft tournament)
- Date: June 23rd, 2013
- Format: Draft; 3R+F; exact booster selection for the draft is not yet determined
- Time Table:
Start Draft: 09:30 to 10:30
Start Round One: 10:45 to 12:45
Start Round Two: 14:00 to 16:00
Start Round Three: 16:15 to 18:15
Start Finals: 18:30 to 20:30Uhr
There’s a VtES Constructed tournament named “Lifesign Wiesbaden” scheduled for January 27th, 2013 in Taunusstein, Germany (near Wiesbaden) The details for the tournament look like this:
Vampire: The Eternal Struggle – Constructed Tournament
Sign in for the tournament in the German forum. Not required, but highly appreciated!
Lately I have been reading a couple of rulings/clarifications/questions about combat cards with a steal/destroy weapon/equipment effect (short: steal weapon), so here’s a short “Questions and Answers” summary for this crypt card. Most of the information is taken from the VtES Usenet Newsgroup “rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad” and some from “VEKN.net”. Examples for these cards/abilities are Fast Hands, Canine Horde or Lucian’s special ability.
Question: Can I play a card with a steal weapon effect, if the opposing minion in combat doesn’t have a weapon?
Answer: No, you can’t. There need to be a valid target (the weapon) for being allowed to play such a card.
Question: When a vampire I control steals a weapon in combat, when can that vampire use it for the first time? In the same round or only in a new combat?
Answer: The VtES rules explicitly prohibit (in section 6.4.5. “Strike Effects“), that stolen equipment may be used by bearer during the same round it was stolen. So the use in the same round, e.g. with additional strikes is not allowed. Anything else, next round or next combat, is fair game.
Question: If the other vampire is striking me with a weapon, and I play a card with a steal weapon effect, is damage inflicted to me from the weapon strike?
Answer: Yes, there is. Both effects are handled simultaneously during strike resolution and while the weapon is stolen during that phase, you are assigned the damage at the same time.