One of the organizers of the VTES EC 2012 in Budapest, Hungary would like to host a large, international VTES competition named “VTES Hungarian Grand Prix 2015“. This event would take place during a weekend in March of 2015 in Budapest, Hungary. The schedule for the tournament would look like this:
- Day 1: Draft and/or Storyline and/or Nation’s Cup
- Day 2: Hungarian EC Qualifier (constructed)
- Day 3: VTES Hungarian Grand Prix (constructed)
The prices (event fee and hotel prices) would be similar to that of the EC 2012.
The question now is how many players would be willing to participate in the event. For this, please answer the poll in the sidebar to the right, or go the corresponding thread on vekn.net, where also the same poll is present.
.. when Unleash Hell’s Fury is tapped (e.g. by using Remover on it), Unleash Hell’s Fury can still (attempt to) block? The reason for is this that Unleash Hell’s Fury is not minion in the general sense that it needs to be “ready” or “untapped” as any other minion; it just isn’t a minion. And the card text simply states, that Unleash Hell’s Fury can attempt to block and omits any statement about any requirement for that (tapped or untapped).
There are some other peculiarities about Unleash Hell’s Fury. Some are obvious, some are not so obvious, so I would like to summarize here:
And thanks to a certain Danish player who plays (and owns) a certain Nergal deck.
After the release of the latest VtES expansion “The Unaligned” (TU), most of the programs used for deck building and playing need an update:
- Official Cardlist: updated with DM/TU; some of programs require the latest cardlist on VEKN.net
- Anarch Revolt Deck Builder (ARDB): updated with DM/TU via CSV Import
- Fragment of Elder Library Database (FELDB): updated with DM/TU
- Secret Library (SL): Secret Library not yet updated with TU.
- LackeyCCG: updated with DM/TU; installation instructions on VEKN.net.
Personal Note: Regarding the inventory list of FELDB, I would always recommend to make a backup copy of the inventory files of FELDB before updating the program. In the past, FELDB updates always are potentially damaging to the inventory files.
Here are the results from the First Chance Qualifier tournament that was played during the VtES European Championship 2014 on October 5th, 2014 in Mannheim, Germany. 90 players participated in this EC tournament, the standings after 3 rounds and the final were as follows:
1. Fabien Garcia (FRA) — 2 GW 7.5 VP — 4 VP — Maris/Lutz Vote
2. Kasper Kristensen (DEN) — 2 GW 6 VP — 1 VP — Lasombra Big Cap?
2. Alessandro Donati (ITA) — 2 GW 8.5 VP — 0 VP — Tzimisce War Ghoul
2. Emiliano Imeroni (ITA) — 2 GW 8 VP — 0 VP — Rachel Brandywine Bleed/Block
2. Alain Greiner (FRA) — 2 GW 6.5 VP — 0 VP — Goratrix Anarch Wall
Congratulations to Fabien for winning the First Chance Qualifier tournament of the European VtES Championship 2014.
Here are the results from the European Championship (Day 2) tournament that was played during the VtES European Championship 2014 on October 5th, 2014 in Mannheim, Germany. 40 players participated in this EC tournament, the standings after 3 rounds and the final were as follows:
1. Arnaud Baigts (FRA) — 2 GW 5.5 VP — 1.5 VP — Tzimisce feat. Lambach Wall
2. Erol Hammer (GER) — 1 GW 6 VP — 0.5 VP — Ventrue Prince Grinder
2. Nicola Lonardi (ITA) — 1 GW 5.5 VP — 0.5 VP — Giovanni Shambling Hordes
2. Ruben Feldman (SUI) — 1 GW 4.5 VP — 0.5 VP — Legacy of Pander w/ Gehenna Events
2. Martin Weinmayer (AUT) — 2 GW 6.5 VP — 0 VP — Stanislava & Friends Vote/Bleed
Congratulations to Arnaud for winning the European VtES Championship 2014. The first French player to win a Continental VTES Championship.
Here are the results from the European Championship (Day 1) tournament that was played during the VtES European Championship 2014 on October 4th, 2014 in Mannheim, Germany. 111 players participated in this EC tournament, the standings after 3 rounds and the final were as follows:
1. Ruben Feldman (SUI) — 3 GW 13 VP — 1.5 VP — Nosferatu G1/2 Royalty /w For
2. Otso Saariluoma (FIN) — 3 GW 9 VP — 0.5 VP — Weenie Auspex
2. Patrick Benoit (FRA) — 2 GW 8 VP — 0.5 VP — Euro Brujah
2. Ivan Marin-Rivas (SWE) — 2 GW 8 VP — 0.5 VP — Unmada/Lutz Vote?
2. Kim Nilson (SWE) — 2 GW 10 VP — 0 VP — Ventrue Grinder?
Congratulations to Ruben for winning the Day 1 tournament of the European VtES Championship 2014 (his second tournament win of the EC 2014). 40 players qualified for the Day 2 tournament. You needed 0 GW 3.5 VP for qualification.
Here are the results from the Last Chance Qualifier tournament that was played during the VtES European Championship 2014 on October 3rd, 2014 in Mannheim, Germany. 93 players participated in this EC tournament, the standings after 3 rounds and the final were as follows:
1. Ruben Feldman (SWI) — 3 GW 13 VP — 2 VP — Weenie Dementation
2. Benoit Moyen (FRA) — 2 GW 7.5 VP — 2 VP — Euro Brujah
2. Jakub Hrbacek (CZE) — 2 GW 8 VP — 1 VP — Gerald Windham & Friends
2. Caroline Hyll (SWE) — 2 GW 11 VP — 0 VP — Toreador G4/5 Pre/Pot/Dom Vote
2. Ben Peal (USA) — 2 GW 10 VP — 0 VP — Malkavian 94′ (Jyhad Only)
Congratulations to Ruben for winning the Last Chance Qualifier tournament of the European VtES Championship 2014. This time there was not cut off quota like in the previous years, but you needed a Game Win to qualify.
Along with the some Full Bleed cards (as presented on vekn.net) with an updated layout where presented and discussed, also a number of different variations of crypt cards. I’d like to summarize the different variations here, so you can see what cards could look like with different designs:
Most of the card designs have been done by selfbiased, but there were also some contributions by Damnans and Lönkka.
I don’t think there’s a single best layout out there. In the end it’s mostly a personal preference what looks good. The only thing I’d advocate is that the card layout should do its job, that is present the information of card (like clan, disciplines, special abilities, etc.) in clear concise way.
More Full Bleed cards on vekn.net. Again posted by selfbiased from both Danse Macabre and The Unaligned are shown, bu this time with two variants each:
Here are the results of the “Dreaming of My Scarlet Woman” VtES Constructed tournament in Bochum, Germany which was played on October 18th, 2014 with 14 players attending. The tournament was taking place during the Spiel 2014 Game Fair in Essen nearby. The final standings after two rounds and the final were as follows:
1. Erol H. (GER) — 1 GW 5 VP — 2.5 VP — Lasombra/Kiasyd S&B feat. Guillaume Giovanni
2. Rudolf G. (GER) — 1 GW 4 VP — 1 VP — Anson Infernal Pursuit
2. Ralf L. (GER) — 1 GW 3 VP — 0.5 — Ventrue/Ventrue Antitribu Grinder
2. Martin S. (GER) — 1 GW 4 VP — 0 VP — Nosferatu Royalty & Friends Vote
2. Klaus B. (GER) — 1 GW 3 VP — 0 VP — Malk ’94 Stealth Bleed
Congratulations to Erol for his victory in the tournament. You can find the final standings in the German VEKN forum.
.. you are able to play more than two Striga (and Maleficia likewise) (pseudo-)discipline cards on an infernal vampire? While the other discipline cards cannot be placed on a vampire with the superior version of the given discipline as per card text, the Striga card lack this text and therefore don’t have this restriction. So, if you have a pile of Striga or Maleficia cards in your hand, you can splash them on your infernal vampires, giving them five or six of these each if want to to.
The VEKN just published the designers’ diary entry for October 2014 on vekn.net. This time the next (yet unnamed) expansion is briefly discussed. But see yourself:
I had a fantastic weekend at the European Championships in Mannheim. Many thanks to everyone who attended — it was great seeing you all! Many thanks to the hosts, as well!
At the EC Mike and I gave a presentation and Q&A session for the new expansion, The Unaligned. By now you’ve all seen the cards, but here are some additional announcements from the presentation:
- The next set, due in October of 2015, will be Anarch-themed. It will be 50 or so cards in size. We’re strongly considering Bloodlines for 2016.
- Playtesting for the next set will start in November. Please talk to Playtest Coordinator Hugh Angseesing (Squidalot on vekn.net) if you’d like to be a playtester.
- If you have ideas for Anarch cards, or any other cards, feel free to post them in the Expansion Sets & Card Ideas forum on vekn.net. We do read that forum — Illusory Resources from The Unaligned was directly inspired by a post there.
- An even better way to try out card ideas is to run a Storyline event! They get your ideas out there and tested in actual games. Talk to Storyline Coordinator Mike Nudd (mikelosaurus on vekn.net) if you’d like to do this.
- We’ll be releasing some overdue Storyline reward cards sometime in the next several months. This will include older Storyline events, such as the Battle Lines event, and the Budapest EC Storyline. We’ll also be reviewing the crypt cards from The Returned event for possible approval in sanctioned tournaments. We don’t have an exact release date for these as they’ll need testing and we’ll need artwork for a couple of cards, but we’re hoping to have them ready by February.
- We’re very grateful for all of the work that our artists have contributed. I highly recommend checking out their other works in their portfolios. Most of them are available for commissioned work, and some have prints and original pieces for sale. You can find the list of artists and links to their online portfolios here: http://www.vekn.net/vekn-artists
That’s all for now! Have a great weekend!
— Ben Peal and the V:EKN Design Team
Here are the results of the poll on what the focus of the next VTES expansion should be. 93 votes have been cast in the poll by the readers of the blog and this final result:
- Bloodlines — 25.81% — 24 votes
- The Camarilla — 19.35% — 18 votes
- Laibon — 15.05% — 14 votes
- Imbued — 13.98% — 13 votes
- Allies — 8.6% — 8 votes
- Something else / nothing sect related. — 8.6% — 8 votes
- The Sabbat — 5.38% — 5 votes
- Independents — 3.23% — 3 votes
It’s quite interesting to see that the Bloodlines garnered the highest vote count, even though the last official expansion by White Wolf was Heirs to the Blood, which featured the Bloodlines clans. Also quite interesting is the renewed interest in the Camarilla. There are already plenty of group 5 Camarilla vampires around, and but he lack of group 6 vampires for the Camarilla as well as the fact that Keepers of Traditions and Twilight Rebellion have been published six(!) years ago.
P.S:. I just saw the Designer’s Diary for October, and it seems that the next expansion is focused on Anarchs ,, obviously one option I had not offered in the poll. Will to better next time.
Today on vekn.net one of board member, self biased, has posted another round of his his full bleed card design. This time vampires from both Danse Macabre and The Unaligned are shown. Really nice to behold:
.. when Santaleous uses his special ability to cancel a master card, the cost for the card has to be paid even though it was canceled? The card text of Santaleous omits the phrase “no cost is paid”, therefore when you’re playing a Zillah’s Valley, for example, the card is canceled and you have to the pay 5 pool. Even worse, when Santaleous is bleeding you for seven, and you’re playing an Archon Investigation, he can just cancel the Archon Investigation and you’re being bled for seven plus the three pool you have to pay for the Archon Investigation. Also note, that Santaleous’ card text has no restriction on how many times he can do this in a turn. So as long has he has blood, he can cancel master cards repeatedly in a given turn.
On vekn.net one of members, self biased, has posted nine full bleed cards of the well-known VtM clan novel characters. I don’t repost stuff on a regular basis, but this is an exception to the rules, because these cards are looking so gorgeous. Bleed is a printing term, and a full bleed image extends or “bleeds” over the edges of a page, that is there are no distinctive borders.
This was posted today on the A Box from the Past channel on YouTube.
Laugh, frown and cry all at the same time … and I am not sure if they know the game still exists and is played.
On the occasion of the VTES European Championship 2014 in Mannheim, Germany, the new VTES Expansion “The Unaligned” has been officially released. After the end of the EC Day 1 tournament, the VEKN design team represented by Ben Peal and Mike Nudd, showed the new crypt and library card to the participants of the EC. There are 25 new library and 46 new crypt (all for the five independent clans in the deck). The Gangrel got two extra crypt cards of the last storyline event, namely Brunhilde (ADV) and the Valkyries. The set was very well received by the audience, but time will tell how this set will actually have lasting impact on the game.
Full information on the expansion including the ready-to-print PDF files on VEKN.net.
I was really under the impression that there will be six mythic vampires as part of “The Returned” storyline. But apparently I am wrong on this, because today, on the eve of the largest VTES event this year, the VEKN published the last part of the “The Returned” with the epilogue as well as the seventh mythic vampire, Vlad Tepes.
Storyline Diary –- October 2014
As I type this I am sitting in the Hotel Luxa in Mannheim, looking forward to playing VTES at this year’s European Championship, which also marks the 20th anniversary of our favourite card game. I don’t have any new rules or cards for you this month, but I thought I would take the opportunity to reminisce a little bit.
When Vampire: The Masquerade was first published in 1991 it really rocked my world. I’d already been roleplaying for a few years and had tried many ‘classics’ including Dungeons & Dragons, Paranoia and Call of Cthulhu. However I hadn’t yet found a game that I could claim as a games master but as soon as I saw VTM I knew that was it.
Here are the results of the poll, what the favourite mythic vampire from The Returned storyline is for the readers of this blog. 80 readers have participated in the poll.
- Montano — 20% (16 votes)
- The Capuchin — 18.75% (15 votes)
- Baba Yaga — 17.5% (14 votes)
- The Dracon — 17.5% (14 votes)
- They all suck! — 11.25% (9 votes)
- Tremere — 8.75% (7 votes)
- Mithras — 6.25% (5 votes)
Even though Montano has a tiny lead over the rest of the pack, in fact I regard this poll a tie between the first four contestants. The lead has changed so many times, and each of them has been lead, that this last standing can only be regarded as snapshot.