Dark Sovereigns (DS) is the first expansion of White Wolf’s trading card game Vampire: The Eternal Struggle released on December 15, 1995 — then published by Wizards of the Coast. The expansion’s theme are the vampires of Europe and introduced the clans Ravnos and Giovanni. It also introduced the Independent sect, i.e. vampires belonging to clans that are pledging allegiance to neither the Camarilla nor Sabbat sect.
This expansion consists only of booster packs with 15 cards each (8 common, 4 vampire and 3 uncommon). It is the only expansion of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle in which boosters did not contain any rare cards, just an increased number of uncommon cards. There is a total of 173 new cards in this expansion.
- Independent Clans — all vampires which do not belong to the Camarilla are considered to belong to Independent sect. This was later modified, a vampire’s sect now is explicitly mentioned on each card.
- Inner Circle — a title giving the vampire holding it more votes than every other title in the game.
- 2 votes — self-explanatory title for Independent vampires.
- Chimerstry, Necromancy — are two new disciplines (powers).
- Banishment — a political action to return a vampire from the active region back to uncontrolled region.
- Fear of Mekhet — a master card with the ability to burn Justicars or Inner circle members.
- Legendary Vampire — a master card giving an older vampire additional political power and bleed.
- Pentex Subversion — a master card which can neutralize any given minion until the card is removed.
- Toreador Grandball — a master card for clan Toreador which allows its clan members to perform unblockable actions (other than the Bleed action).
- Arika — the Inner Circle member of Clan Ventrue, often cited as the most powerful vampire in the game.
- Stanislava — the Inner Circle member of Clan Gangrel; allies cannot block her.