The VEKN Rules Director has published today an interesting post on the usage of the Excel Sheet used for tracking information on a VTES tournament. The Excel Sheet is commonly known as the Archon. It has some peculiarities which may (or may not) need some explanation. But read the full post for yourself:
Hello fellow Methuselahs,
As you all know, we now have a live Archon upload system (continue reading if you weren’t aware of this), based on the submission of the Archons by the Princes.
Amongst other useful things, the submission of the Archons allows us to generate the Ratings page.
However, I regularly see that some organisers / players face trouble when using the Archon. And some issues are quite recurrent. So here’s a little helping guide for those who use the Archon. For those who don’t (or haven’t yet), I would also recommend reading it, as you will probably have a better understanding of it afterwards.
Like all good things, the Archon requires some preliminaries.
First of all: if you’re going to use the Archon, it’s probably because you’re running an event.
In this case, check the Event Calendar and look for your event. If you can’t find it, then the first thing you should do is Register your event.
It is very important that you fill the “Event type” accordingly to your event. Here is a short description of all event types:
- Demo: Self-explanatory. This should be used for demos. Archons submitted for demos will not be taken into account when evaluating rating points / checking who is qualified for CCs, etc.
- Standard Constructed: The regular, common tournament. Standard Tournament rules apply, this is basically what you run if you don’t run something specific. Results for this type will be taken into account.
- Limited: Mainly used for drafts. It will be taken into account, but just for limited ratings. This is the easiest way of being World’s #2 (Hugh has bought slot #1)
- Mini-Qualifier: To be honest, this shouldn’t be in this list. Don’t use it, never ever ever. Unless things change, this is a old-world type that we forgot to delete. It should be pushing the daisies.
- Continental Qualifier: Each country can run some (depending on the country, from 1 to as many as Ginés decides) Continental Qualifiers each year. Check with your NC that you can run this kind of event. Players with 1GW at these events will qualify for the next Continental Championship. See the Continental Championships page for details
- Continental Championships: Held once per year per continent. It’s a major gathering on players. I wholeheartedly recommend attending these.
- National Qualifiers: As far as I know, if you’re not French, this isn’t for you. Some countries (France) don’t have an “Open” National Championship. In France, players must be qualified for the Nationals to qualify. Hence this format (which was used, iirc, in Italy some time ago). This is NOT the Contentinental Championship Qualifier.
- National Championships: Held once per year per country. This should be your country’s major event, and I highly recommend going there – and to some other countries’.
- Storyline: Tournaments registered there count for the Storyline. You can check the Storyline pages (check options on the left side bar) for details on the current format.
- Launch Event: I honestly don’t know what this is doing there. I recommend never to use it.
- Build your own Storyline: Storyline, again.
- Unsanctioned tournament: Self-explanatory. These events are almost Standard Tournaments, except that you slightly changes the rules. For instance, “Jyhad-Only, with Jyhad-Rules” tournaments should be “Unsanctioned”. “Proxies allowed” must be Unsanctioned. These events don’t count for the rating.
tl;dr: Use mainly Standard Tournament and Unsanctioned Tournament. Once in a while, you’ll have to register a National Championship or a Continental Qualifier. French Princes will encounter National Qualifier. I must say I haven’t used any of the others myself.
* If you have registered an incorrect type of event, please contact the Ratings Coordinatoror ( email@example.com), Ginés ( firstname.lastname@example.org) or myself ( Rules@VampireTheEternalStruggle.com). We can fix this.
HOW CAN I HAVE THE ARCHON?
The Archon is available from the RESOURCES/Downloads section on the left.
The Archon is some kind of a program that gets updated from time to time.
The current (as of 22/07/2014) version of the Archon is 1.5b.
We try to have the Archon supported by a maximum of tools – Excel, but also LibreOffice and OpenOffice. If you think your Archon isn’t compatible, please send it to me ( Rules@VampireTheEternalStruggle.com).
SHOULD I USE A NEW ARCHON FOR EACH EVENT?
Download the Archon, first thing you should do is to copy it somewhere you won’t touch it. Rename that file “Archon_Model.xls”, and whenever you hold an event, simply copy that file somewhere relevent to the event (Documents/vtes/events/2014-2015/Archon_FeeStakeCorte.xls) and start using it.
This way, we reduce the chances of losing an important file.
I HAVE AN ARCHON; I HAVE PLAYERS, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
When you open the Archon, it should default to the second page, “Tournament Info”.
I cannot stress this enough, but this is almost the most important page of the Archon. If this page isn’t properly filled, the submission is likely to fail (see below).
So take your time, and fill each field as best as you can.
“Date Report due at V:EKN” is purely informal. We won’t be knocking at your door if you’re late.
- Organizer: This person is in charge of preparing the event, finding a location, making the announcements, [color=white]creating the event on vekn.net[/colo], etc.
- City: The place where the event is held.
- Format: Apart from drafts and unsanctioned events, events should be Constructed.
- Level: If everything is cool, you should choose the same type you chose when creating the event on vekn.net. (see above for details)
- Number of players: This field is automatically filled. Don’t try and alter it.
- Number of rounds: Use 4 if you’re running a 3R+F event, 3 if you’re in a 2R+F
- Number of event matches: Automatically filled.
- Number of new members/warnings/disqualifications: As far as I know, we don’t parse this information yet. Still, if we ever do, it’s a good habit to fill it
- Multijudge: In events of 6+ players, the Tournament Rules allow the use of MultiJudge, if there is no non-playing Judge. Simply list here the names of the judges.
THE METHUSELAHS PAGE
On this page, you’ll have to fill all data regarding the players.
Columns A (Player Num), B (Player Firstname), C (Player lastname), and E(vekn id) are required to be filled. Column D (city) isn’t mandatory.
Somehow, I’ve seen issues recently with non-regular characters. Names like “Clément”, “Nuñez”, “François” or things with diactritics would get discarded by the upload module.
DURING THE ROUNDS AND FINALS
Whenever a table finishes, report the result into the column E of the adequate table on the adequate round. You don’t have to fill the G column, the Archon will process it correctly.
For the finals, you need to enter the A14-A18 cells with the IDs of the players for this event. Finalists are shown right above for reminers. Once the final is over, fill the F column with its results.
THE EVENT IS OVER, THE ARCHON IS FILLED, WHAT DO I DO?
Return to the event’s page on vekn.net’s calendar, and upload the Archon. You must fill the “number of players” field there, or you will see your Archon rejected.
Once the upload is over (this can take quite some time), check that everything is normal:
- All your players are displayed
- All your participants have at least 5 Rating Points
- All your finalists have significantly more Rating Points than the other players
- Rankings go from 1 to the number of players (except in case of ties, where some players are tied at the end).
If everything looks good, you can submit your Archon.
This sends a minor notification to your NC (basically, the NC needs to go to the Approve event page to know that there’s an event to approve), so you sould just as well inform your NC that your Archon is ready to be approved.
LIST OF THINGS YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO DURING THE EVENT
– Player not here in round 1 (and 2), but will be there in round 2 and 3
– Player leaving after round 1, and not coming back
– Player leaving after round 1, and coming back for round 2 (/3)
– Player dropping the event before the finals
– Life Boon
COMMON PROBLEMS WHEN SUBMITTING AN ARCHON
– “Tournament Info” wasn’t properly filled
– Incorrect decimal separator
If you have face issues with the Archon, please DO report them here so that we can add them to the list. AB