A little bit late, but the Deck of the Month for Jan./Feb. 2014 is the tournament winning deck “Crazy Magic” played by Jorge Verdi (ESP). The deck is four discipline deck (Tha/Dem/Obf/Aus) big cap toolbox. It looks a bit slow (and it is certainly vulnerable during the start of the game), but I like the concept and the use of all four disciplines as well as the crypt selection, which is also rather unusual. Not that these vampires (Louhi, Pentiqua, Williamn Biltmore and Lazarus James) are shabby, on the contrary, but you just don’t see them very often in tournament decks. The deck has a slow build-up and is rather toolboxy, but in the end it can control its opponents with its vampires special abilities and the selection of equipment fetched with Magic of the Smith.
This month had no clear uber-Deck (this includes the winner), but a number of strong and/or interesting decks. So the choice for the winning deck was pretty hard to make:
- Vincent Ripoll (FRA), after entering last year’s EC final with this deck, has won the second tournament with his deck named With a little help from Giotto. It’s a classic Obf/Pre/Dom Vote Bleed deck, but with the help of Giotto he’s able to burn through his library to get the cards he needs in a given situation.
- I do like crossover deck, and this is one of them. Radoslaw Staszewski (POL) plays the deck named Cybele with Cats!, which is a combination of Cybele Multi-MPA and a Rockcat rush combat deck.
- A little Weenie revival could be seen in Jan/Feb., namely the wins by Roner Oliveira‘s (BRA) Children’s Sabbath deck, which is a Sabbat weenie vote deck, and Reginaldo Oliveira‘s (BRA) Winning Grinder, which is a Weenie Computer Hacking w/ Guns deck.
- Matt Wedge (USA) won a tournament with his mono-Valeren(!) combat deck Big strong man like you…. Winning with the Salubri antitribu is no little feat, but with mono-Valeren it is quite remarkable!
- Last not least, David Sharpe (RSA) has like the winner a four discipline deck (named Enchanting Truth mainly based on Obfuscate & Presence, but also Temporis and Auspex feat. Al-Muntahir as the star vampire. The basic idea is to recruit a critical mass of vampires using Enchant Kindred , and then bleeding your prey to death using Obfuscate and Presence.