Here are the results of the “Midsummer Daydream” VtES constructed tournament in Hilversum, Netherlands. The tournament was played on August 20th, 2011 with 12 players participating. These are the standings after the three rounds and the final:
1. Ralf L. (GER)– 1 GW 5 VP — 3 VP — Nosferatu G2/3 Royalty Anathema
2. Izaak H. (NED) — 1 GW 7 VP — 1 VP — Lasombra G2/3 Nocturn
2. Jelmer W. (NED) — 1 GW 5 VP — 1 VP — Hermana Minor Bruise/Bleed
2. Sahan A. (NED) — 2 GW 7 VP — 0 VP — Al-Muntathir Freakshow Bleed
2. Bart B. (NED) — 1 GW 4 VP — 0 VP — Ventrue G4/5 Lawfirm w/ Horrific Countenance
Congratulations to Ralf for his victory in the tournament.
.. Catatonic Fear only deals a damage (after combat) when the combatants were at close range, while Oubliette forces the opposing minion to burn a blood or life also at long range? While Catatonic Fear explicitly states that the damage is only inflicted at close range, Oubliette lacks this limitation in its cardtext. Take note that this lack of limitation in the cardtext applies for Strike: Combat Ends cards for these two cards.
In general this does not apply to damage dealing strikes in combat. For these strikes the default is that strike must explicitly be able to deal damage at long range.
Here’s a short overview of strikes and their effectiveness:
- Hand Strike: default; only at close range
- Weapon Strike: depends on the card text (of the weapon)
- Destroy Equipment: depends on the card text
- Steal Equipment: depends on the card text
- Steal Blood/Life: depends on the card text
- Dodge: both at close and long range
- Combat Ends: both at close and long range
See also section 6.4.5. Strike Effects of the VtES Rulebook.
Reference: VtES Usenet Newsgroup.
The Dutch National VtES Championship 2011 will take place on September 17th, 2011 in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Here are the details regarding the tournament named Valley of Death:
- Date: Saturday, September 17th, 2011
- Time Table:
- Registration: 10.00
- Round 1: 11:00 – 13:00
- Lunch: 13:00 – 13:30
- Round 2: 13:30 – 15:30
- Round 3: 15:45 – 17.45
- Final 18:15 – 20:15
- Fee: 5,00 EUR
- Format: Constructed (VEKN Tournament Rules)
- Pre-Registration: Please register in advance by sending me a PM to the organizer (“aschere”) on VEKN.net or by replying in the relevant post in the Dutch VtES forum. Any questions you might have concerning the tournament can be asked in the same way.
- Decklists are required
- Since the location is a restaurant it is not allowed to bring your own food or drinks.
- Parking space is available and day tickets for that can be bought at the bar for €6,00 EUR
On August 14th, 2011 the Camarilla Conclave 2011 was held in Palma de Mallorca, Spain with 31 players attending this tournament. The Camarilla Conclave is a tournament held every year in Spain, and in the tournament the top 8 players will be appointed as Justicars. The winner will choose his or her Justicar title and plaque first. The other players ranked 2nd to 8th will receive their titles and plaques at random. On the other hand, the Inner Circle of the Camarilla will not tolerate those who fail, so 3 of the vampires occupying the 5 last places at the tournament will be declared Anathema, and will be included on the Red List, together with the kindred most wanted. The final standings after 3 rounds and the final were as follows:
1. Carlos Tomás (ESP) — 2 GW 6 VP — 2,5 VP — Ani Rush Combat feat. Nana
2. Daniel Padrol (ESP) 2 GW 9 VP — 1 VP — Toreador AAA Grandball Vote
2. Claudio Soulié (ESP) 2 GW 6 VP — 0,5 VP — Gangrel/Gangrel antribu Wallish Combat feat. Enkidu
2. Juan Gómez (ESP) 2 GW 7 VP — 0 VP — Tremere/Tremere antitribu Bruise & Bleed
2. Nicolás Suffo (ESP) 2 GW 8 VP — 0 VP — Toreador antitribu Palla Grande/Foundation Exhibit
Congratulations to Carlos for winning the Camarilla Conclave 2011.You can find the final standings as well as the tournament winning deck on the VEKN.net and the Spanish VtES forum also contains links to photos (like the one above) and even some short videos.
Details on the VtES US National Championships 2011 have been published by the championship organizer, Norman S. Brown. The championship is part of the Grand Masquerade event , which takes place from September 15th to 18th, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The detailed plan for the championship weekend looks as follows:
Friday, September 16th:
- Midnight Run
- Time: 7:30 PM to 1:30 AM
- Format: Open Games & Duffin Draft
- Duffin Draft consists of building a deck out of a single booster pack and starting with 12 pool and unlimited transfers.
- For new players, it is a great way to focus on specific areas of the game.
- For experienced players, it is great way to take a quick break from the standard game while building your collection.
Saturday, September 17th:
- Cardinal Benediction — US Championship
- Time: 12:00 Noon to 9 PM
- Rounds: 3 Rounds with 2 hour limit. Untimed Finals
- Format: Standard Constructed.
Sunday, September 18th:
- Border Skirmish — Draft
- Time: 10 AM to 5 PM
- Rounds: 2 Rounds & Final. 2 hour time limit
- Format: Draft
- Drafting starts promptly at 10AM. Drafting and deck construction should last no longer than 30-45 minutes.
- We will be drafting 7 to 10 packs of boosters.
“There are many combos in the card game that don’t make strict sense from a ‘real world’ point of view. But it is better to have a solid foundation for game play (card text/rules text) than a soft one (‘real world justification’).” — LSJ
Reference: VtES Usenet Newsgroup.
As a follow-up to the Global Financial Crisis we need this card being introduced to VtES sooner or later:
Stock Market Crash
If any player’s pool is even during his untap phase, he loses half it to the blood bank. If it is uneven, he adds one pool from the blood bank. Remove this event during this player’s next discard phase.
“For the love of money is the root of all evil, ..”